sábado, 14 de julio de 2012

Co-sleeping and Beading Close to Your Baby

From my experience of two kids and from my personal point of view, sleeping with my babies is one of the most beautiful things I've ever done. With my first child, in the hospital, I asked for my baby to sleep in the same room with me since I was breastfeeding him. I thought that it was the logical thing to do since I had to get to know my child because in the end, I had to deal with him at home. Well I got to know that little character, which was high demanding. But I was happy to bond with him. Still I wasn't sure to sleep with my baby because of all the things people told me. Some co-workers told me to sleep with him, other old women told me not to. It was confusing. So I decided to set the small crib of the hospital next to my bed. I breastfed, put the baby down, and after few minutes, baby cried. I kept this thing going on for about 1 or 2 weeks, until I said to myself: "This is rediculous!". I just put my baby next to me and slept with him. Before he even woke up to demand for food, I was awaken by this strange feeling. I saw his little jaw moving and the suction reflex going on, so I fed him right away. I was asleep, deeply, but I could wake up with any baby noise.
After reading and understanding what attachment parenting was, the theory I studied at the univerisity, hearing other mothers that breastfed at La Leche League, and watching amazing conferences by many doctors like Dr. Carlos González from Spain, I understood all my feelings that I couldn't explain to myself at that time. Oxytocin and prolactin, two wonderful hormones made this magic happen. Later on, speaking with one of my co-workers that told me to sleep with my child, she said something quite interesting that soon I investigated and read about. She said that dogs and cats (she's an animal lover) slept with their cubs because it's the way all mammals are supposed to grow, since we depend more of our mothers for many reasons. Research also shows that humans are more dependant to their mothers than any other species.
Reading my parenting bible, "The Attachment Parenting Book" by Dr. Sears and his wife, they stated an amazing fact about co-sleeping and is that statistically more babies die from Sudden Infant Seath Syndrome sleeping alone in cribs than sleeping with their parents. There's a theory that suggests that when babies sleep with their moms, they breathe better and have better breathing rhythm since they "follow" their mother's. Although co-sleeping is not for everybody. Studies seem to forbid sleeping with babies if you have over-weight and sleeping syndroms such as apnea.  To avoid accidents, try to have your baby tugged in his own blanket. Also try to have safety bars for your baby not to fall off bed. Some are available to adapt to your bed.
Beading close is also a wonderful choice for those who can't try the co-sleeping. Having the crib in your bedroom or a moses crib next to your bed also works quite well.
Keep in mind that even though you might have a camera and high-tech stuff on your baby's crib, your baby doesn't feel safe. You know your baby is "ok" from your point of view, but from baby's eyes, he feels alone and unprotected because he needs your warmth and smell. If we keep giving our babies this sense of confort and protection, they will become confident and high self-esteemed children.
Knowing all this, I just trusted my insticts with my second child. I slept with him from day one, and I rested and had a wonderful time at the hospital. I felt so good holding my little bundle of joy, right next to my heart, feeling his warmth and him feeling mine. Nine months later and it's still beautiful.
Sleeping with babies has been a practice that humans have done since we touched this Earth, and it's completely normal. If you feel like doing it and you're a healthy person, do it. It's a one time experience that happens for just few years of your entire life.
Enjoy your parent life...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario