viernes, 6 de julio de 2012

Yes, I Babywear

Babywearing is an Attachment Parenting term I first saw in my parenting bible "The Attachment Parenting Book" by Dr. Sears and his wife. Wearing your baby is basically having your baby confortably close to you at all times in a carrier.
Long before wheels and strollers were invented, people "wore" their children at all times because if they were left alone probably they couldn't survive to wilderness. Moms had to be close to their babies at all times. If babies cried, it was not a good idea since it attracted predators. So biologically babies and moms are supposed to be together always, for at least 6 months, or until baby starts crawling. Still babies have the constant need of mothers because that's how we have evolved.
Human milk is lean, with more carbs than fat, meaning human babies need to drink constantly. That's because human babies, like other primates, need constant contact with their mothers. Other mammals, such as felines, have milk with more fat, because they need to leave their babies for them to be able to hunt.
Babywearing is just a way of giving a baby all what he needs: you. It's simply not logical to leave babies on playpens, cribs, or electronic swings. I never bought this things because for me was a waste of money, except for the crib that by the way, we use it to put stuff inside because my baby sleeps with me, but that's another subject. Babies in carriers cry less, they get in touch with daily life, they can even "read" emotions better than babies with no human contact. And isn't this what we want to teach our kids? Remember that your duty as a parent is to be a caregiver, not a trainer.
There are many ways you can babywear. Now there are pouches and sling. This seems to be a "new thing" but actually Eastern civilizations and Native Americans have used them for thousands of years. I have worn my two sons in "Ring Slings". These are FANTASTIC. Easy to put, to clean, to take, confortable, and wornderful to breastfeed in public. I go to the mall, the bank, supermarket, anywhere with my sling on and my baby just feeds without anybody noticing. Once an old woman with my first child came to me and told me: "That's a REAL mom". I felt good with that comment because I was in a cafeteria late at night, and I just took my baby and he was just happily sleeping on my chest. He didn't wake up, and I could enjoy my meal and a time out of the house.
Slings have been a life savier to me in such ways. It makes parenting easier when it comes to breastfeeding and conforting your child.
Who told you not to go out with your babies? Forget about all those things that you think you need to take when you go out with your baby. Just take your sling, a big purse with a couple of dipers, wipes, and two clothes' changes, and you are ready to rock. Breastfeeding and slings really make your life easier and more glamourus. Find nice slings that go with your outfits! It's trully a better investment...
If you are interested on knowing how to wear your baby, on You Tube there's a whole bunch of  videos about ring sling wearing. They are available on eBay and other online stores. Also La Leche League promotes this type of carriers. I trully LOVE my Ring Slings!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario